Relocating to another state can be nerve-racking, especially when it comes to moving your car. However, you don’t have to worry as we provide professional advice to help you make an informed decision when it comes to transporting your car to a new state.
You can either drive it yourself, seek assistance from your family or hire an auto transport company. We continue our series from last time to provide you with all the necessary information for a smooth car shipping process across state borders.
4. Verify the Auto Transport Company’s Credentials
You can do this by checking their registration with the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Additionally, you can ask the company to provide proof of insurance and inquire about their coverage limits.
5. Complete the Paperwork and Schedule the Shipment
Next, you must complete the necessary paperwork, including a Bill of Lading (BOL), which serves as a contract and receipt for the shipment. Review the document carefully and make sure all the information is accurate before signing.
Pay close attention to the following details:
- Shipping Timeframe: Confirm the expected pick-up and delivery dates, as well as any guarantees offered by the shipping company.
- Insurance Coverage: Ensure that the shipping company provides adequate insurance coverage for your car during transport. Request a copy of their insurance certificate and review the terms to understand your coverage.
- Payment Terms: Understand the payment options available and any deposits required. Be cautious of companies that demand a full payment upfront, as most reputable companies require a deposit or partial payment before shipping.
- Cancellation Policy: Familiarize yourself with the shipping company’s cancellation policy in case you need to cancel or reschedule the shipment.
After finishing the paperwork, schedule your car’s pick-up and delivery dates with the transport company. Remember that shipping times can vary depending on distance, weather, and transport method, so it’s essential to be flexible and communicate with the shipping company throughout the process.
If you already have your dates in mind, go ahead and input them into the form below and view your free estimate for transporting your car to a new state!
Transporting Your Car to a New State? Start Here!
6. Prepare Your Car for Shipping
Before handing over your car to the shipping company, it’s necessary to prepare it for transport. Getting your vehicle ready for transport can decrease shipping expenses and allow you to determine if there is a need to file a claim for damages following the transportation process.
Follow these steps to ensure your vehicle is ready for shipping:
- Clean your car thoroughly, both inside and out. This will make it easier to inspect the vehicle for any existing damage before shipping.
- Document any existing damage to your vehicle by taking high-resolution photos and writing down any dents, scratches, or other issues. Share this information with the auto transport company.
- Remove all personal items and valuables from your car, as the auto transport company will not be responsible for any lost or damaged belongings.
- Ensure that your car is in good working condition. Check the battery, brakes, and tires, and make sure there are no fluid leaks. If your vehicle is not in drivable condition, inform the auto transport company beforehand, as this may require additional arrangements and costs.
- Leave only a small amount of fuel in the car – around 1/4 of the tank is ideal because it reduces the vehicle’s overall weight and minimizes potential safety risks.
7. Track Your Car’s Progress and Receive Delivery
Once your car is on its way, most auto transport companies will provide you with a tracking number or access to an online portal where you can track your vehicle’s progress. Stay in touch with the shipping company and coordinate with them regarding the delivery date, time, and location.
Upon delivery, scrutinize your car and compare its condition with the BOL form. If you notice any new damage or discrepancies, document them on the BOL and notify the shipping company immediately.
Take note that most companies have a short window (usually 24-48 hours) to report any claims, so it’s essential to act promptly.
Transporting your car to a new state doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By following the steps outlined in this guide and choosing a reputable auto transport company, you can ensure that your vehicle arrives at its destination safely and securely.
If you’re searching for dependable and effective vehicle transportation services in the United States, eShip is the perfect choice, ranking the best among the nation’s top three car shipping service providers.